This is our way of keeping in touch with the important people in our life that live far away! And it's our way of celebrating the little things in life that make us smile. Hope you enjoy. Leave us a comment. We'd love to hear from you!



Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Can a baby be a Masochist?

Being the youngest of 7 children I often had the pleasure (please note the sarcasm that cannot be heard) of playing the "Stop hitting yourself" game with my older siblings. Mostly my mean older brothers. I'd get pinned down and they'd grab my hand and smack me with it over and over again. All the while, giggling with delight and saying, "Stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself..."


Ahhh, childhood. Those precious memories that will stay with you forever. Unless your therapist helps you repress them. Sadly, I don't have the money for a therapist.


But I digress. The reason for this trip down memory lane is that I've been having flash backs while watching my son. If you've been an avid reader of this blog you will know that Lucas doesn't appreciate being on his stomach (note the understatement). Well, he has now figured out how to roll over. See the problem?

He loves the new found freedom of movement he has, and he L.O.V.E.S to demonstrate his mad skill of rolling over. Amazing! I know. But then he just gets completely upset that he's on his stomach of all places. Tantrum ensues. Mommy or Daddy have to come rescue him and then the process starts over again. All. Day. Long.

Hence, the voice in my head that sounds an awful lot like my brother Shaun...."Stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself." Why does he do this to himself? Does he like to cry? Is this a reflection of my parenting?

*SIGH*

The joys of Parenthood. I'm sure the fun is just getting warmed up. On a positive note, he is getting better on his tummy. He actually sleeps most of the night on his stomach now. I try to roll him over because it kinda freaks me out, but then he just rolls right back over. Rebellious kid already.

But he's had another milestone and we're excited. Even though he keeps punishing himself over, and over, and over, and over....





Here's a little video of him trying to go to sleep on his belly, too cute. And yes he sings himself to sleep pretty much all the time. He's sooo my child.



P.S. - I'd like to clarify that my brothers were definitely mean when we were kids. But they have all grown up to AWESOME human beings and fathers. And I'm sure they've played the "Stop hitting yourself" game with their kids :)

0 comments: