This is our way of keeping in touch with the important people in our life that live far away! And it's our way of celebrating the little things in life that make us smile. Hope you enjoy. Leave us a comment. We'd love to hear from you!



Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Domestic Goddess in Training.

I made a goal recently to bake more this holiday season. Fall always brings back memories of all the baking my mom did. And every year I feel incomplete because I don't do near half as much. So this year I challenged myself to do better!

First up,

CINNAMON ROLLS.

Have I ever told you that I have an irrational fear of yeast? Well, I do. Terrifying. Whenever I read a recipe that involves dissolving yeast in a warm liquid, I start to twitch and have to turn the page. My brain would say.....No way Jen! You can't do that.

Guess what's in homemade cinnamon rolls....yeast. *Twitch* But gosh darnit...I'm almost 30, I've been married for 8 years, I've been through scarier things in my life than making homemade dough!!!

So today I took the plunge. And can I say....it wasn't so bad. I had to call my mom for moral support. I told her just to tell me everything was going to be okay. Then I asked her a few questions. I mixed the yeast. I made the dough. I let it rise. I rolled it out. I slathered it with butter and sprinkled it with yummy deliciousness. I let it rise again. Put them in the oven....and....and...THEY ARE DELICIOUS!!

I survived. It was a miracle. I was fully prepared for them to be terrible, for me to cry uncontrollably, and to make Matt swing by Cinnabon on his way home.

I feel like somehow I am a better mother to my child for having conquered the scary cinnamon roll. Who knows what will be next...



Oh and this cute guy was just TOO happy to be my guinea pig. He normally detests any bread product - I know, weird huh? But he took one look at those bad boys and could hardly keep himself from climbing on top of the counter to get one. And he ate the whole thing by himself.

0 comments: